Classes to restart on Saturday, May 16, both in-person and on Zoom
Hello. We hope everyone is staying safe and being smart out there. Thank you so much to all of our students, parents and helpers for your patience during this challenging time. It seems like a long time since Mo taught her last class on March 20th. It is time for us to try to see how to do so now in the new reality of a post-Covid-19 world.
Mo Holland Dance Studio is planning to restart dance class instruction on Saturday, May 16. We would have been allowed to start Friday, May 8, but the details of the State of Alaska Phase 2 Reopening Plan were not released until later that day, so we will take a week to try to get all of our ducks in a row. Spoiler alert: it’s going to be different. There will certainly be a learning curve and some learning opportunities (aka mistakes) along the way, but please be patient with us.
Our greatest concern is the health and safety of our students, parents and employees. Mo has taught dance in Fairbanks for more than 40 years in a certain way and doesn’t like change much, so she will be having to adapt as much as her students and their parents will. Please be aware that all of this is subject to change at any time due to the fact that this is an unprecedented situation in our lifetimes.
First of all, we know that some will not feel comfortable taking class in person at this time, so each regular in person class will also be available on Zoom. We are not the most high tech place, but we have some great helpers that know what they are doing as far as IT goes. Meeting IDs and passwords will be issued via email to access Zoom classes.
To summarize the most important changes contained in the following government reopening plan for fitness and recreational classes:
- Each student will be maintaining a 10 foot distance from their classmates during actual dancing, 6 feet when not dancing. There will be well marked indicators on the floor showing where to stand. Preschool students will stay inside a hula hoop for most of the class.
- Each student will be screened before class for symptoms of Covid-19. No one with Covid-19 symptoms will be allowed to dance. Each student should arrive dressed ready to dance.
- Due to space limitations, only 3 parents at a time will be allowed inside the waiting room to watch and will need to maintain a 6 foot distance from others. They are encouraged to wear masks in the building.
- The state plan encourages students to wear masks, but does not require it. We encourage all of our students and any parents that enter the building to wear masks. Our teachers and apprentices (class helpers) will wear masks and will all be screened for Covid-19 symptoms daily.
- We will have hand sanitizer available as well as old fashioned soap and water in the restrooms.
- We will be doing enhanced cleaning procedures such as cleaning touch points in the store, studio and restrooms hourly when classes are being taught.
We look forward to getting back to teaching dance and seeing you all again at some point. Stay tuned. Updates will be posted to our Facebook page, the Mo Holland Dance Studio website and on our phone answering machine.