There will be no classes from March 8 to 13, when we will be closed for Spring Break.
Category Archives: Announcements
Online registration for Spring 2021 is now available!
Mo Holland Dance Studio now offers online registration and payment in addition to our other methods of registering. You are still able to register over the phone or in person!
The online registration form can be found here. We are excited to offer this new feature and encourage those who use it to contact us if they encounter any issues.
We are available at our office number (907) 452-5678 on Saturdays frm 12pm – 4pm.
We require masks.
Mo Holland Dance Studio is a masks-required establishment. This means that students, parents, customers, and all others entering the building must wear masks. This is due to the recent local increase in coronavirus cases. We will be adhering to social distancing, limiting class sizes. If conditions change, our rules will too. We appreciate your understanding.
COVID-19 Semester Credits:
If you or your child was enrolled last semester and missed the last seven weeks of classes due to coronavirus closure, we’re offering you free credit for seven classes for Fall or Spring this school year. We appreciate the continued support through these difficult times and look forward to seeing you or your child in class.
For more information, you can call our office on Saturdays from 12-4 or send us a message through our website.
Recital Update 7/6/2020
Please read this
We take very seriously the health and safety of our students and their families. Due to the very recent spike in local pandemic activity and the fact that there will be grandparents and other higher risk people attending the recital on July 10th and 11th, we have decided the only responsible thing to do is to require masks for everyone involved in the recital, including spectators.
Until the spike in cases, we thought optional masking along with social distancing would be adequate, but not now. We will have disposable surgical masks and some cloth masks available for those without a mask. We will expect social distancing when possible, except for those who mutually agree to stand or sit closer (family/close friends/bubbles).
There is very good ventilation at the Borealis Pavilion, and we will be doing diligent cleaning throughout the recital. Seating will be in socially spaced clusters with folding chairs and aisles.
As a friendly reminder, this year the recital is at the Tanana Valley Fairgrounds in the Borealis Pavilion (the huge blue and white building visible from College road). There is no admission fee. Students should arrive at least 30 minutes before their class is scheduled to perform. There will be very limited changing areas available, so we ask that students please arrive in costume if possible.
All of this is as new and alien to us as it is to you, so please be understanding if we don’t do everything perfectly. We are committed to our students having an opportunity to perform the dances they have spent the semester learning, with as much risk reduction as we can practically do.
For those who won’t be attending, the recital will be taped and made available to all our students to share with family and friends. We hope everyone enjoys the show, whether at home or in person. Mo is grateful for your contribution to making some lemonade out of the lemons we have been given this year.
Recital Order and Accessories List
Below is the 2020 Mo Holland Dance Recital order.
Please click on this link for a complete list of accessories needed for each class: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNFQZgzQjmwVqCY1djIlFSPB2nnyGA-4/view?usp=sharing
As a reminder, costumes are still available for pickup during our regular office hours (Tuesday and Thurday 3:30-6:30, and Saturday 9-4)
2020 Recital Order – Friday, July 10th
- Tuesday 7:45 – Adv MGM 5:30
- Tuesday 4:45 – Mi Gente 5:45
- Wednesday 7:00 – Aurora (Fans) 6:00
- Friday 4:00 Shark Remix 6:15
- Tuesday 6:45 – So Close 6:30
- Tuesday 5:45 – High Hopes 6:45
- Friday 5:00 – Friend Like Me 7:00
- Tuesday 4:45 – Switch 7:15
- Tues 7:45/Thurs 6:45 – Papaoutai 7:30
- Tuesday 6:45 – North 8:00
- Tuesday 6:45 – Adv CATS 8:15
2020 Recital Order – Saturday, July 11th
- Wednesday 5:00 – Contemporary 2:00
- Wednesday 4:00 – We Are Siamese 2:15
- Thursday 5:45 – Skeletons 2:30
- Tuesday 11:00 – Thumbelina 2:45
- Thursday 4:45 – Gold Boi 3:00
- Saturday 9:00 – Thumbelina 3:15
- Thursday 3:45 – Hercules 3:30
- Wed 1:30 – Boogie Woogie Piggy 3:45
- Saturday 12:30 – Pirates 4:00
- Sat 11:45 – Boogie Woogie Piggy 4:15
- Thursday 4:45 – Teen CATS 4:30
- Tues 3:45/Sat 2:30 – Feather Dusters 4:45 BREAK 5:00-6:00
- Sat 9:45 – Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile 6:00
- Wednesday 6:00 – Godspeed 6:15
- Dads and Daughters – Robin Hood 6:30
- Thursday 6:45 – Level III MGM 6:45
- Sat 10:45 – Old Town Road Remix 7:00
- Saturday 1:30 – Tapping Typewriters 7:15
- Thursday 7:45 – Someone You Loved 7:30
- Thursday 5:45 – Teen MGM 7:45
- Saturday 1:30 – Sucker 8:00
- Thursday 7:45 – Level III CATS 8:15
For a printable copy of the show order click this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/148adXCkUSGM4VEvjUrPogeu2jZFOXNOI/view?usp=sharing
Recital Update – 6/9/2020
The 2020 Mo Holland Dance Studio Recital will be very different than any of the previous 27 recitals we have held. It will be held on Friday, July 10th 5:30-8:30pm and Saturday, July 11th 2-8:30pm (with a meal break Saturday from 5-6pm) at the Tanana Valley Fairgrounds in the Borealis Pavillion (the huge blue and white building visible from College road). Each class will dance either on Friday or Saturday, not both days. See below for a class-by-class listing of which day for each class. There is great ventilation and plenty of space for social distancing. The dance surface will be cement. Best place to park is near the Blue Gate entrance.
Costumes will be handed out starting Saturday, June 20th, both to students dancing in the recital and those not participating. There may be a delay in handing out costumes for a couple of classes whose costumes have not arrived yet due to Covid-19 related manufacturing delays. It is possible that some of those delayed costumes will not arrive in time and replacement costumes may need to be provided by us.
The recital format will be different than usual. Each class will perform their dance twice after they are set on stage, once as a rehearsal and then right after that as a recital number. Dancers will be socially distanced (6 feet) as much as possible. We are allowing 15 minutes for each number to get staged, do a rehearsal run through, then a recital performance and clear the stage. We will clear the audience between numbers also so that family/friends for each class can have the best possible view of their dancer(s).
- There will be no admission fee or tickets sold.
- Spectators will be socially distanced except for family units and close friends.
- Masks are encouraged, but not required.
- Restrooms and changing facilities will be available.
- If you would like to reserve a rose for your dancer from the person who for many years has done flowers at our recitals, please call or text 978-4494.
- Photos will be available from our usual photographer, Class photos may be limited due to social distancing issues.
We will update our website and Facebook page as details firm up. All details are subject to change.
2020 Mo Holland Dance Studio Recital
*This is NOT the final order of the show. Dances will be on the same day as listed below, but not in the order listed. We will be sending out a show order soon*
5:30pm Friday, July 10th
Tuesday 6:45 – North
Tuesday 6:45 – So Close
Tuesday 7:45 & Thursday 6:45 – Papaoutai
Wednesday 7:00 – Aurora
Tuesday 7:45 – Adv MGM
Tuesday 6:45 – Adv CATS
Friday 4:00 – Shark Remix
Tuesday 4:45 – Switch
Tuesday 4:45 – Mi Gente
Tuesday 5:45 – High Hopes
Friday 5:00 – Friend Like Me
End Approximately 8:30pm
2:00pm Saturday, July 11th
Tuesday 11:00 – Thumbelina
Saturday 9:00 – Thumbelina
Wednesday 1:30 – Boogie Woogie Piggy
Saturday 11:45 – Boogie Woogie Piggy
Tuesday 3:45 & Saturday 2:30 – Feather Dusters
Wednesday 4:00 – We are Siamese
Wednesday 5:00 – Contemporary
Wednesday 6:00 – Godspeed
Thursday 3:45 – Hercules
Thursday 4:45 – Gold Boi
Thursday 5:45 – Skeletons
Thursday 7:45 – Someone You Loved
Saturday 9:45 – Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile
Saturday 10:45 – Old Town Road Remix
Saturday 12:30 – Pirates
Saturday 1:30 – Sucker
Saturday 1:30 – Tapping Typewriters
Thursday 5:45 – Teen MGM
Thursday 4:45 – Teen CATS
Thursday 6:45 – Level III MGM
Thursday 7:45 – Level III CATS
Saturday 3:30 – Dads and Daughters
End Approximately 8:30pm
*On Saturday there will be a one hour break 5:00-6:00pm*
Phase 3/4 Update (Posted 5/26/2020)
Classes restarted on Saturday, May 16, both in-person and on Zoom
Hello. We hope everyone is continuing to stay safe and be smart out there. Thank you so much to all of our students, parents and helpers for your patience during this challenging time. Mo Holland Dance Studio restarted dance class instruction on Saturday, May 16 with a number of changes in light of the pandemic. Spoiler alert: things are different than before. There is certainly a learning curve and some learning opportunities (aka mistakes) along the way, but please be patient with us.
We plan on continuing classes thru July 3rd, then have a performance/recital at the Borealis Pavilion at the Fairgrounds on July 10th and 11th. Details will be posted as they develop.
Our greatest concern always has been and always will be the health and safety of our students, parents and employees. Mo has taught dance in Fairbanks for more than 40 years in a certain way and isn’t a big fan of unplanned change, so she has been having to adapt as much as her students and their parents have.
First of all, we know that some do not feel comfortable taking class in person at this time, so each regular in-person class will continue to be available on Zoom. We are not the most high tech place, but we have some great helpers that know what they are doing as far as Zoom goes and we are learning fast. Meeting IDs and passwords have been issued via email to access Zoom classes. Please let us know if you have not received these.
To summarize the most important changes we have instituted based on government guidelines.:
- Each student will be maintaining a 6 foot distance from their classmates during class.
- In some of the advanced classes, 10 foot spacing will be used when vigorous and sustained exertion is required.
- There will be well marked indicators on the floor showing where to stand. Preschool students will stay inside a hula hoop for most of the class.
- Each student will be screened before class for symptoms of Covid-19. No one with Covid-19 symptoms will be allowed to dance.
- Each student should arrive dressed ready to dance. We have a fan drawing in outside air to improve ventilation, so classes taken earlier in the day or on cooler days may be a bit chilly and students should dress accordingly.
- Space limitations in the waiting room will limit the number of parents allowed in to observe class, since they will need to maintain a 6 foot distance from others. Parents will be screened and are encouraged to wear masks in the building. Loaner masks are available.
- The Alaska state government plan encourages students to wear masks, but does not require it. We encourage all of our students and any parents that enter the building to wear masks. Loaner masks are available.
- Our teachers and apprentices (class helpers) will wear masks and will all be screened for Covid-19 symptoms daily. Loaner masks are available.
- We have hand sanitizer available as well as old fashioned soap and water in the restrooms.
- We will be doing enhanced cleaning procedures such as cleaning common touch points in the store, studio, changing rooms and restrooms hourly when classes are being taught, with weekly deeper cleanings.
We look forward to continuing teaching dance classes and seeing you all again at some point. Stay tuned. Updates will be posted to our Facebook page, the Mo Holland Dance Studio website and on our phone answering machine. Please be aware that all of this is subject to change at any time due to the fact that this is an unprecedented situation in our lifetimes.
Reopening Update (Posted 5/9/2020)
Classes to restart on Saturday, May 16, both in-person and on Zoom
Hello. We hope everyone is staying safe and being smart out there. Thank you so much to all of our students, parents and helpers for your patience during this challenging time. It seems like a long time since Mo taught her last class on March 20th. It is time for us to try to see how to do so now in the new reality of a post-Covid-19 world.
Mo Holland Dance Studio is planning to restart dance class instruction on Saturday, May 16. We would have been allowed to start Friday, May 8, but the details of the State of Alaska Phase 2 Reopening Plan were not released until later that day, so we will take a week to try to get all of our ducks in a row. Spoiler alert: it’s going to be different. There will certainly be a learning curve and some learning opportunities (aka mistakes) along the way, but please be patient with us.
Our greatest concern is the health and safety of our students, parents and employees. Mo has taught dance in Fairbanks for more than 40 years in a certain way and doesn’t like change much, so she will be having to adapt as much as her students and their parents will. Please be aware that all of this is subject to change at any time due to the fact that this is an unprecedented situation in our lifetimes.
First of all, we know that some will not feel comfortable taking class in person at this time, so each regular in person class will also be available on Zoom. We are not the most high tech place, but we have some great helpers that know what they are doing as far as IT goes. Meeting IDs and passwords will be issued via email to access Zoom classes.
To summarize the most important changes contained in the following government reopening plan for fitness and recreational classes:
- Each student will be maintaining a 10 foot distance from their classmates during actual dancing, 6 feet when not dancing. There will be well marked indicators on the floor showing where to stand. Preschool students will stay inside a hula hoop for most of the class.
- Each student will be screened before class for symptoms of Covid-19. No one with Covid-19 symptoms will be allowed to dance. Each student should arrive dressed ready to dance.
- Due to space limitations, only 3 parents at a time will be allowed inside the waiting room to watch and will need to maintain a 6 foot distance from others. They are encouraged to wear masks in the building.
- The state plan encourages students to wear masks, but does not require it. We encourage all of our students and any parents that enter the building to wear masks. Our teachers and apprentices (class helpers) will wear masks and will all be screened for Covid-19 symptoms daily.
- We will have hand sanitizer available as well as old fashioned soap and water in the restrooms.
- We will be doing enhanced cleaning procedures such as cleaning touch points in the store, studio and restrooms hourly when classes are being taught.
We look forward to getting back to teaching dance and seeing you all again at some point. Stay tuned. Updates will be posted to our Facebook page, the Mo Holland Dance Studio website and on our phone answering machine.
3/18/2020 COVID-19 Update
Due to coronavirus concerns, the Center for Disease Control recommended on Sunday, March 15, that people avoid gatherings of more than 50 people. On Monday, March 16, the White House recommended avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people. We will be following the CDC recommendation.
Some of our classes have more than 10 students, so it is up to each student to decide whether or not to attend class. Classes will continue as scheduled for now.
We are instituting some social distancing modifications in class, and have increased studio cleaning frequency and depth.
Thank you for your cooperation
-Mo Holland Dance Studio